Nothing says Fall like garden mums and pumpkins! Plant mums with Pansies and Ornamental Kale to extend color in flower beds and containers from September through December.
Choose from these yellow varieties for 2020:
- Avalon Sunny Yellow (blooms very late)
- Beverly Gold (blooms mid season)
- Buttercup Yellow (blooms early season)
- Chelsey Yellow (blooms mid season)
- Elena Gold (blooms early season)
- Gold Rush Yellow (blooms late season)
- Golden Cheryl (blooms late season)
- Hankie Yellow (blooms late season)
- Honeyblush Yellow (blooms mid season)
- Makayla Yellow (blooms late season)
- Morgana Yellow (blooms very late)
- Sundance Yellow (blooms late season)
- Yellow Tang (blooms very late)
To increase the hardiness of Garden Mums, the following steps need to be taken:
- Plant before September 15 so the plant has time to root in before winter.
- Make sure the location is well-drained. Roots standing in water during winter cause the plant to die.
- Mulch heavily around Thanksgiving. Leave the top of the mum plant in place – it seems to increase hardiness.
- If the winter is dry, water periodically when the soil is thawed.
- Uncover and cut off the old growth around mid-March, but keep the mulch handy so the plants can be recovered if there is a late freeze.