- Plant before Sept 15 so the plant has time to root in before winter.
- Make sure the location is well-drained. Roots standing in water during winter cause the plant to die.
- Mulch heavily around Thanksgiving. Leave the top of the mum plant in place – it seems to increase hardiness.
- If the winter is dry, water periodically when the soil is thawed.
- Uncover and cut off the old growth around mid-March, but keep the mulch handy so the plants can be recovered if there is a late freeze.
September is the month to plant garlic.
Everything tastes better with garlic! Easy to grow, garlic is also a host to many beneficial insects.
Read more about this easy-to-grow vegetable and how to harvest and plant on Our Blog, posted on August 24, 2015.