Pansies like cold weather. Plant them now and enjoy their sweet faces all through the fall, during warm spells in the winter, and when spring comes, watch them flourish.
To increase the hardiness of Garden Mums, the following steps need to be taken:
- Plant before Sept 15 so the plant has time to root in before winter.
- Make sure the location is well-drained. Roots standing in water during winter cause the plant to die.
- Mulch heavily around Thanksgiving. Leave the top of the mum plant in place – it seems to increase hardiness.
- If the winter is dry, water periodically when the soil is thawed.
- Uncover and cut off the old growth around mid-March, but keep the mulch handy so the plants can be recovered if there is a late freeze.
September is the month to plant garlic.
Everything tastes better with garlic! Easy to grow, garlic is also a host to many beneficial insects.
Read more about this easy-to-grow vegetable and how to harvest and plant on Our Blog, posted on August 24, 2015.